Tuesday, February 24, 2009

ObamaKnit

This is my first post-knitting group report since starting this blog. The plan is to post an update every Tuesday night after I get home from 3 hours of bock, bock, bocking with my fellow Chickenheads. Of course, if I have too much wine, beer, dessert or all of the above, I may go straight to bed and the post will just have to wait.

First the spread: Big Sis brought an assortment of Subway sandwiches, CertainT had an equally appetizing assortment of Haagen Dasz ice cream bars, and I brought a 6-pack of Bass ale. (For the record I am much more comfortable buying alcohol or dessert. When it's my turn to bring dinner I agonize.)

Tonight was all about Obama as he delivered his first address to Congress. We are all lovers of our Commander-in-Chief and spent the majority of his talk oohing and aahhing over how hot he is. All I could focus on was that fire he has behind his eyes when he speaks. It just seems to say, "I want to grab you and kiss you right now, woman." I know, I know. His eyes are really saying, "I want to grab this country and get it out of this mess, people." But a girl's gotta dream, right?

Then it was on to the cacophony of group knitting.

Bubbles has completely gone of the knitting deep end and today brought her first skein of HANDSPUN yarn. Yes, she has a spinning wheel at home. Oh wait, it gets nuttier.

Then Miss Sunshine broke out her latest project - a pair of socks to be knit using the HAND-DYED yarn Bubbles gave her for her birthday. And she is almost bursting her bubble with excitement over going to a knitting convention in Santa Clara this weekend. She even convinced her long-suffering boyfriend to go with her. It's hard to say no to Bubble's enthusiasm.

The rest of us? We are hardly as advanced.

Obamette, despite being excited about her true love's successful speech tonight, was attempting to knit on circulars for the first time ever. She got a lot of help from CertainT who actually can't knit since she broke her hand over the weekend slipping on wet pavement by a hotel pool! When she informed the significantly younger Miss Sunshine that she fell down and that's why she has a cast, MS replied, "What? Did you just tip over?" This inspired much giggling from the kitchen.

Big Sis and I are all too similar in our knitting style - chug along until you hit some sort of snag. Then panic and beg for help as if your work will explode in your hands if someone doesn't fix it for you immediately. It's much funnier when you aren't the one panicking and, lucky for me, it was Big Sis panicking tonight with the sock monkey hat she eventually had to unravel - all the while chanting, "Remember, I like to knit. It's OK to unravel. I like to knit. It's OK to unravel." Easier said than done.

And I am in the midst of learning not one, but two new techniques -cabling and double pointed needles! Miss Sunshine showed me a great pattern for fingerless gloves and so far so good. Here's a picture of my progress.


And, yes, we did discuss blow jobs. After all, we are the Chickenheads aren't we? But the topic was really more centered around my recent discovery of what that term actually means and that I had, in fact, been inadvertently calling my knitting friends (and myself) c*cks*ckers. Woops.

Bock, bock.

2 comments:

  1. I never realized knitting could be so fun. I feel like a fly on the wall -- very cool.

    How is your knitting project coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Guy Friend! I was equally surprised with how entertaining it is! Stay tuned for my latest knitting failure - and why it didn't disappoint me one bit.

    Love your new blog! I'll link to it shortly on Dating is Warfare!
    DT

    ReplyDelete