Friday, June 12, 2009

Lakers lose.

This week's Chickenheads session had it all - competition, international intrigue, performance art, and even audience participation. Gotta love Tuesday nights.

It was the third game of the NBA finals that night, between the Lakers and some other team. I only know this much information because Obamette is apparently very interested. She is the mother of two teenage boys and the wife of one husband, all of whom are sports nuts. What choice does she have but to care?

But God bless her, she still agreed to come to knitting night - as long as she could watch the game. So we set her up in the corner, oddly angled right in front of the big screen TV, while the rest of us knitted and gabbed. We would occasionally get a jolt from the corner of the room when she would release a loud "Yessss!" or "Where's the foul???!!!" (I was happy to find out as we were all leaving that the Lakers lost. Sorry Obamette, but I just hate Kobe.)

As entertaining as Obamette's spectatorship was, I was excited to hear all about Rugby's recent trip to Ireland. She had missed the last two weeks while traveling with her husband throughout the country and visiting with his family. It sounds like it was a terrific trip, complete with hurling - both the Irish sport and head-in-toilet varieties.

Then Big Sis attempted to explain the plot of David Lynch's "Eraserhead" to the group. Let's just say she had to stand up in the center of the room in order to more effectively portray the characters and their quirks. This was easily more bizarre and hysterical than the movie itself. In fact, it was the only conversation of the night that got Obamette to turn away from the game to see what the hell was going on. It was awesome.

Finally, CertainT surveyed the group to get ideas for what song she and her son should dance to at his October wedding. This was towards the end of the night after several beers, yummy meat calzones (thanks Bubbles!) and huge slices of an absurdly tasty ice cream cake I bought at Trader Joe's for only $8. Needless to say, the suggestions got more ridiculous by the second. I offered The Police's "Every Breath You Take" - but only if CertainT wants to scare the hell out of her newly acquired daughter-in-law.

I'm sorry to say that I can't for the life of me remember the other song suggestions that were so funny. So I'm asking my Chickenheads to comment here and share (CertainT - you can figure out how to do this!).

And any of you other honorary Chickenheads out there, feel free to throw in your two cents. It would be good to hear from you!

Bock, bock.

p.s. Oh yeah, we knitted too. Well, everyone except our disappointed Laker fan.

3 comments:

  1. Rugby: I can't remember the songs either. I guess that's the downside of drinking beer first. And don't forget - while Obomette didn't knit, she did sew on a button.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, of course! Sorry Obamette! Not only did she sew on a button, but she did it as a favor for me. Perhaps I am less happy the Lakers lost now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Trooper,

    Would your group consider doing a patch-up job? I have an old quilt that was made by my late babysitter, who was more or less a surrogate grandmother to my sister and I. Some of the seams have ripped open. Not above paying for this work, and you can assume that any supplies would be paid for as well. If interested, I can bring the quilt by to let you look at it.

    Let me know/hope the hip is getting better.

    SA

    ReplyDelete